A climate change denier posted the following comment to one of my recent seeds:
What I have a problem with is what caused the dust bowl in the early 20th century? What caused the ice age? What caused the world to warm after the ice age? In the 80's I was teaching and we were telling the students that the world was going to become colder. how can I trust these same people who continue with the global warming theory? Maybe it is just a cycle that man cannot control.
I've seen this same excuse more frequently from deniers recently. It's time we cleared it up. It's actually just the latest in a long string of denier excuses to avoid facing reality.
- There is no global warming!
- Well ... maybe there is global warming, but it's not caused by people.
- Well ... maybe global warming is caused by people but we can't do anything about it.
Physicist-retired replied with an excellent link to an article from New Scientist that explains the reality behind this latest denier excuse.
It seems that a few scientists back then actually did predict cooling. However .....
- The vast majority still predicted warming. (see note below)
- Those who predicted cooling have generally recanted. One even wrote a book explaining why he was wrong.
- Climate change and global warming now is overwhelmingly supported by science. It's not the same at all as the 1970s.
The last denier excuse may be right ... it might be too late now. If it is, all I can say about that is, "Deniers: I hope you and your children enjoy the world you have created." Deniers created it because there clearly was a time when something could have been done. But deniers have, and continue, to obstruct any progress.
note: "A survey of the scientific literature has found that between 1965 and 1979, 44 scientific papers predicted warming, 20 were neutral and just 7 predicted cooling." - from the linked article